Christmas Coundown

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I'm so excited! I just finished my second day of school. I am taking classes at Pierce College to get my prerequisits so I can apply for the nursing program. Because I'm so excited I wanted to share my first essay with you. The topic was any issue that is important to me personally so of course I chose a topic that has to do with beading. Let me know what you think.

Unique is Better

Beaded jewelry is very fashionable right now. Most people don't think before they buy a piece of beaded jewelry. You can pick up a beaded bracelet or necklace at almost any department store. However, if you take a little time to consider before you buy I think you will realize that buying from a local artisan has many benefits.

If you choose to buy from someone who is local not only is it supporting your local economy, you may even be supporting people you know. Many people who make hand-crafted jewelry do it as a part-time job to earn money while raising a family, going to school, or working a full-time job. Some of them are mothers or even grandmothers, and for a lot of people it is a family tradition.

The artisans who do beadwork take pride in their work. They take the time to inspect every piece, which cannot be said for the pieces you buy in a department store. Most of the time the individual pieces that make up the whole are of a higher quality. Artisans take the time to scrutinize each piece before buying. They make sure that every piece is as perfect as they can get it.

What do you do when you want a bracelet, necklace, earrings, or even a keychain to match a specific outfit or for a special occasion? You can go to the local department store or nearest jewelry store and look for hours just to find a piece you 'kind of like'. Another option is to buy from a local artisan who can make a special piece to fit your needs. You can choose everything: the hardware, the size, even the individual beads and focal pieces. By doing this you get exactly what you need and you will have a piece of hand-crafted, locally made jewelry.

Many artisans have been learning and creating since childhood. It really is a passion for them and it shows in the work. They each have a unique style and unique personalities to match. So get to know your local artisans, support your local economy, and in return you will recieve a unique, high-quality piece of wearable art. You may even make a new friend in the process.



 

No comments: